05 Aug How to Make Ancient Golden Milk
You may have heard of the new hip trend, Turmeric Lattes, well this warm scrumptious drink is not “new” by any standards. Tumeric Lattes, or Golden Milk as they are more commonly known, are an ancient Vata balancing Ayurvedic Indian Remedy. This tasty drink has become a very comforting and soothing nighttime ritual for me!
Turmeric, or haldi doodh in Hindi, has been used for thousands of years for medicinal purposes.
Golden Milk is known to help with
- Depression and anxiety
- Menstrual Cramps and Reproductive Health
- Cough and Colds
- Weight Loss and Calorie Burning
- Digestive Problems
- Blood Purification
- Skin Clarification
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Headaches and Congestion
- Arthritis and Joint Pain
Science has proven turmeric to heal in numerous ways, but I believe that analyzing this miraculous herb with logical data alone would discredit its ancient magic.
If you search Google I promise you will find multiple recipes for Golden Milk but here is all you need to know..
Tumeric Lattes are made to taste and there are no direct rules except you must use Tumeric and Black Pepper. The black pepper is an important step because the piperine increases the bioavailability of the most crucial property of turmeric, which is curcumin. The rest of the spices are for taste or added benefits.
There are two methods that I use when making my lattes…
- Make a Golden Paste with Coconut Oil and store it in the fridge. *Coconut oil makes the latte nice and creamy) I found this recipe from MindBodyGreen.com :
- Blend 1 cup of water, 5 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil, 1/2 cup of turmeric powder, and 1 1/2 tsp of black pepper in a pot and let simmer for 10 minutes
- Pour into a jar and keep in the fridge for two weeks and simply add a dollop to warmed coconut or almond milk when desired and whisk!
- Add cinnamon, honey, (I use coconut sugar) or maple syrup to taste! (cayenne pepper for a bold kick!)
- * I add ginger to my paste to help with digestion and you can also add cardamom or any other desired spice
- The second way is easy peasy! All you need to do is add Turmeric and Black Pepper in warmed milk along with whatever spices you desire and whisk!
Don’t get discouraged if at first you’re not a fan of the flavor try out different recipes until you find a taste that you enjoy! The benefits are well worth the effort.
*Whichever method you prefer I highly recommend using a mini latte frother. It is handheld, whisks your ingredients in 2 seconds, and is easy to clean. I use AeroLatte!